Before 1960, when urban development began, senior homebuyers had a difficult time locating builders that could meet their unique requirements or build to suit. Today, there are still plenty of retirees looking to find their forever home. Seeing how more and more people choose to grow older in their own homes, it’s imperative that these homes meet their particular needs. Luckily, the market offers many options to help senior homeowners to live a quality life. With that said, let’s discuss the 7 features senior homebuyers should look for in a house.Continue reading
In a recent report, Freddie Mac compared the homeownership rates of two groups of seniors: the Good Times Cohort (born from 1931-1941) and the previous generations (born in the 1930s). The data shows an increase in the homeownership rate for the Good Times Cohort because seniors are now aging in place, living longer, and maintaining a high quality of life into their later years.
This, however, does not mean all seniors are staying in place. Some are actively buying and selling homes. In the 2019 Home Buyers and Sellers Generational Trends Report, the National Association of Realtors® (NAR) showed the percentage of seniors buying and selling:
Highlights from NAR’s report:
- Buyers ages 54 to 63 had higher median household incomes and were more likely to be married couples.
- 12% of buyers ages 54 to 63 are first-time homebuyers, 5% (64 to 72), and 4% (73 to 93).
- Buyers ages 54 to 63 purchased because of an interest in being closer to friends and families, job relocation, and the desire to own a home of their own.
- Sellers 54 years and older often downsized and purchased a smaller, less expensive home than the one they sold.
- Sellers ages 64 to 72 lived in their homes for 21 years or more.
According to NAR’s report, 58% of buyers ages 64 to 72 said they need help from an agent to find the right home. The transition from a current home to a new one is significant to undertake, especially for anyone who has lived in the same house for many years. If you’re a senior thinking about buying or selling a home, call Team Nest Builder’s Lynn Garafola today to help you make the move as smoothly as possible.
Originally published on tapinto.net. by Lynn Garafola.