Creating more storage in your home is often a top priority. But when you have reached the limit of your current storage capacity, you may need to think outside the box to make the most out of the available space.
Regardless of whether you are stuck in a small apartment or inhabit a larger home, you are not alone when it comes to the struggle of navigating a lack of storage. Finding smart and efficient storage solutions is crucial to maintaining an organized and clutter-free living environment.
Not sure where to begin? Here are five tips and tricks to get the most out of your storage.
1. Think Vertically
One of the most overlooked and forgotten areas of your home is your vertical space. Utilizing storage solutions can help you maximize every inch of your home and create additional space, making it a simple way to make the most of your available storage options.
Some simple and easy ways to maximize your vertical storage space include:
- Wall-mounted racks – Installing racks on walls for hanging items such as clothes, pots, pans, or even bicycles can free up considerable floor space.
- Shelving – Adding shelves to walls allows you to store books, decorations, and other belongings while simultaneously creating an attractive display.
- Hanging storage – Utilizing hanging organizers for shoes, accessories, or laundry can clear up valuable floor and closet space.
For most of these ideas, you will only need basic tools like a drill, screws, and brackets, along with your storage equipment like a rack or shelves.
2. Multi-Functional Furniture
As furniture and design have evolved, there are more pieces you can use in your home that are both stylish and provide functional storage. These everyday pieces of furniture can be smart investments into your home’s storage and include things like:
- Ottomans with storage: Choose an ottoman that can be opened to reveal hidden storage compartments for blankets, books, or board games.
- Beds with built-in drawers: Utilize the space under your bed by opting for one with built-in drawers, perfect for clothing or extra linens.
- Tables with underneath shelves: Select tables (such as coffee or console tables) featuring shelves below the surface to maximize storage in living areas.
When you are ready to update your furniture, it is worth exploring modern pieces that offer storage solutions and meet specific needs.
3. Utilize Underused Spaces
Sometimes the best storage spaces are the ones you completely forget to think about as storage space. Places like under your bed, under the stairs, or in tight corners of a room often go underutilized. Some smart ways to take advantage of those spaces include:
- Under-bed storage: You can invest in storage containers or rolling drawers to tuck away seasonal clothing, shoes, or linens.
- Under-stair storage: Try converting this space into a pantry, wine rack, or even a small office nook, depending on your needs.
- Corner shelves: Find some corner shelves to maximize otherwise dead space. It will create additional storage for books, photos, or decorations.
Think creatively and find areas of your house you have not utilized yet! Plus, the small investment into your storage space can pay off and ensure you utilize each inch of space in your room.
4. Maximizing Closet Space
While your closet is obviously one of the key storage spaces in a house, you can improve its efficiency and use of the space with some upgrades to your storage equipment. Even just some small changes like these can help:
- Slim hangers: Trade out your bulky hangers for slim, non-slip versions to free up valuable hanging space.
- Stackable storage containers: Use clear, stackable containers for shoes, purses, or even folded clothes to keep your closet neat and accessible.
- Tiered shoe storage: Invest in a tiered shoe rack or hanging organizer to maximize floor space within your closet.
If you are looking to spend a little bit more money, you can try to hire an organizer or handyman to install more robust professional storage systems to improve your closet space. For a budget-friendly option, DIY it with materials from your local home improvement store.
5. Creative Storage Solutions for Small Items
When it comes to reducing clutter and improving your storage, small items can be just as challenging as bigger ones. Whether it is jewelry, crafts, or office supplies, here are some unique solutions to tackle some of these common organizational challenges:
- Magnetic racks: Install a magnetic strip to hang metal items such as scissors, keys, or tools.
- Labeled jars: Repurpose jars for small supplies and label them accordingly for easy identification.
- Drawer organizers: Utilize drawer dividers or small containers to keep drawers neat and easily accessible.
By organizing small items in creative ways, you can keep them in order and prevent them from getting lost or causing clutter in bigger spaces. Talk about a win-win situation!
The best part about all these ideas? They do not have to be expensive. You can get creative with your storage solutions and find new spaces in your home you did not think to utilize.
With both practical and aesthetic benefits, taking the time to strategize your storage space can help you transform unused or inefficient areas into valuable storage spaces. You will not regret it!