Moving Organizer Checklist
MOVING ORGANIZER CHECKLIST
To effectively organize your move, print this page out and keep it handy. As you complete the items on the list, you can check them off. When the list is complete, you're ready to move!
- Decide what is to be moved and what is to be given away or sold.
- Gather all your belongings to be moved and have them consolidated at one location (or two if necessary); then ensure all items you've decided to give away, are gone.
- Decide if storage will be necessary at destination and pick the location.
- Make a list of everyone you need to notify about your move: friends, professionals, creditors, subscriptions, etc.
- Obtain records from schools, doctors, dentists, lawyers, veterinarians, accountants, and the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Send change of address cards through your postal service.
- Contact utility and related companies for service disconnect/connect at your old and new addresses. Remember to have utilities turned off at your current home the day after moving day and turned on at your new home the day before move in day to ensure service throughout moving day.
- Change insurance coverage for your automobile, homeowner's or renter's, medical, and life.
- Collect important papers to take with you, such as insurance documents, revenue department records, automobile registration, deeds, stock certificates, wills, etc.
- Close your accounts at your local bank.
- Open a bank account in your new locale.
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator.
- Prepare an "Unload Me First" carton with essentials you'll need immediately at your new home (see below). Include a baggy filled with hardware from disassembled items, such as dresser mirrors and beds. Have this box loaded last, or carry it with you in your car.
- Call your move coordinator to confirm details of your move.
To help keep essentials (things you may need to utilize upon arrival at your new residence) in one place, pack a box with the following items or types of items. Mark it "Unload Me First", then ask your van foreman to load it on the truck last. That way it will be one of the first boxes unloaded at your new home.
Here are some items you should include in the box:
- FOR MEALS Paper Plates, Plastic Utensils, Cups, Can Opener, Pots and Pans
- PAPER PRODUCTS Paper Towels, Toilet Paper, Writing Paper (and Pens)
- TOOLS Pliers, Screwdrivers, Hammer, Flashlight
- MISC Lightbulbs, Soap, Cleaning Supplies, Hardware